The sun sets on another busy day here at Harlaxton where we just spent the day in Cambridge. After an early departure to the train station we got ourselves into Cambridge for the villiage bus tour.
WOW!! is all I can say about it. All the architecture and history (and bicycles) were a lot to take in. We cruised down old cobblestone streets and past statues to get a feel for the atmosphere at the perch of the double-decker bus. On the bus tour, we hopped off at the Fitzwilliam Museum. We got a room by room look at everything from the Egyptian artifacts to the French Impressionist (loved that Monet!!) and beyond.
Kelly gave us mini classes at the galleries, bringing us up to speed on our history time lines. I have to say I liked the Fitzwilliam visit better than the Tate Modern we visited yesterday (it helped too that the weather today was only cool and not rainy). I couldn't get over how impressive it was to see all those artifacts and paintings. The history of it all and how we've been able to put it in a time line through art is just amazing to me. This has to be the best museum I've been in............and it didn't hurt that I got to see it all in Cambridge!
The side view of the Fitzwilliam Museum with the lions guarding the steps
Gate sign for the museum
Here we are at the entry foyer of the Fitzwilliam Museum
Picture of the entry foyer from the top of the staircase
Oh, let's not forget that their are approx. 120,000 people that live in Cambridge and there are almost 35,000 bicycles!!!! This is a "bike park" outside the train station.
The walk back to the train station made me appreciate their way of transportation over here. Not that many people have cars and they walk or ride their bikes everywhere!
We spent the rest of the day walkig the streets and soaking up the atmosphere. We went to King's College and took in whole thing. What an awsome piece of architecture!! This is all of us standing outside the College for a snapshot.
1 comment:
wow....mind expanding...enjoy the rest of the trip!
Post a Comment